This webpage serves as a resource repository for comprehensive prevention planning tools, with an emphasis on resources to support County Prevention Coordinators.
Previously, counties were required to submit Strategic Prevention Plans (SPPs) in order to receive Substance Abuse Block Grant (SABG) funding. Beginning in FY 2022/2023, DHCS’ statewide DHCS Behavioral Health Prevention Plan (BHPP) will replace the requirement that each county have its own prevention plan. DHCS will develop new county expectations, toolkits, opportunities for TTA, and resources to align with the BHPP projected start date of July 1, 2023.
Even though the SPP requirement is changing, DHCS encourages counties to continue strategic prevention planning utilizing the Strategic Prevention Framework (SPF). The following tools are based on the five steps and two guiding principles of the SPF. Counties and providers can also request consultation through CPI for future strategic planning endeavors.
The Strategic Prevention Plan Workbook for Counties [PDF 2 MB] is a step-by-step guide with definitions, resources, and activities for each step of the SPF. Although the original focus of the Workbook was Strategic Prevention Plans (SPPs), counties will find the Workbook useful for strategic prevention planning more broadly.
CPI resources are categorized by each step and principle of the SPF. To request no-cost training or consultation on any of the following topics, complete the TA/Training Request Form.
- Focus Groups: Helpful Tools for Strategic Prevention Planning [PDF 705 KB]
- SPF Tip Sheet: Conducting a Needs Assessment [PDF 856 KB]
- SPF Tip Sheet: Determining Prevention Priorities and Problem Statements [PDF 526 KB]
- Survey Data Sources for Substance Abuse Prevention: A Review and Summary [PDF 506 KB]
- People Power: Mobilizing Communities for Policy Change [PDF 626 KB]
- Preventing Drug Use among Children and Adolescents: A Research-Based Guide for Parents, Educators, and Community Leaders [PDF 725 KB]
- Prevention Tactic: Cross-Sector Collaboration [PDF 1 MB]
- Social Determinants of Health A Common Language for Collaborating Across Sectors [PDF 1 MB]
- Selecting and Implementing Evidence-Based Prevention Through the Strategic Prevention Framework (SPF) Planning Process [PDF 391 KB]
- SPF Tip Sheet: Developing Measurable Goals and Objectives [PDF 731 KB]
- Using Data to Establish Need: Applying the Strategic Prevention Framework (SPF) Planning Process [PDF 581 KB]
- The Coalition Impact: Environmental Prevention Strategies [PDF 868 KB]
- Prevention Tactic: Culturally Responsive Environmental Prevention [PDF 1.5 MB]
- Policy Strategies to Reduce Underage and Binge Drinking [PDF 509 KB]
- National Registry of Evidence-based Programs and Practices (NREPP) [XLSX 118 KB]